With less than a year until the presidential election, I can’t help but ponder for a moment the potential of the front-runners as possible president.
First of all, Mrs. Clinton. Although I’ve never met her in person, I know enough about her and her husband’s antics as governor, then president of the US to fill a large room w/ note cards. I am all for a woman becoming president, but not just any woman, and mostly not this woman. I trust not a Clinton, no matter who stuck what where and how or when. The name, regardless if it belongs to husband or wife is synonymous with “can’t trust you beyond the charismatic charm” (or lack thereof).
When I was an undergrad student, my American Presidents’ professor assigned me Bill Clinton to do a presentation on. Oh, I wish I could find that paper… it was filled with the underhanded garbage these two were associated with while he was governor of Arkansas and also as president.
I am a history professor. My job is to look for patterns in history, repetitive cycles of repeated events–new people, new time, same situation sort of thing. I pride myself on my ability to compare anything I am teaching to what is going on in the news. So far, my success rate is 95%, which in academic terms is an A.
Other scandals the Clintons (he/she/both) have been involved in:
- Chinagate: During the 1996 Clinton-Gore campaign, they supposedly took bribes from banks in China as well as the government itself to help their dwindling poll numbers. According to reports, the Chinese Embassy in WDC helped filter funds into the DNC (Democratic National Committee). As far as Hillary’s involvement, she supposedly instructed Secretary of Commerce Ron Brown (who later died in a plane crash) to sell seats on dept trade missions to China. The “scandal” with Bill and Monica took precedent and saved this scandal from receiving any significant media coverage.
- Travelgate: The 25-year old cousin of Bill Clinton (Catherine Cornelius) was allegedly promised the position of director of the travel office. Hillary supposedly and indirectly fired seven employees from the US travel office and replaced them with associates from Arkansas (not a shock, this does happen). Either the records were incorrectly filed or lost regarding this. Moreover, the Clintons also supposedly gave a White House airline contract to a friend. In turn, Mrs. had the FBI investigate Billy Dale, who was the head of the travel office, which ruined his career (especially after it was determined that he did nothing illegal), and was then audited by the IRS for about 3 years after that. A memorandum from a former Clinton aide shows Hillary as the central figure in the 1993 travel office dismissals and out of fear, the aide did not question Mrs. Clinton out of fear of reprisal.
- Whitewater Scandal: The Clintons were partners in a shady real estate development firm (Whitewater Development Corp) in Arkansas. There were accusations of impropriety against the Clintons, and soon others surfaced– improper campaign contributions, political & financial favors, and tax benefits. The McDougals, friends and majority owners in this firm were jailed for fraud and Gov. Jim Tucker, who was Clinton’s successor in Arkansas, was also jailed for fraud along w/ municipal judges David Hale, Eugene Fitzhugh, who worked w/ McDougal. The Clintons emerged unscathed and stating that they did nothing wrong.
THIS IS REMINDING ME OF PRES. GRANT’S ADMINISTRATION THAT WAS RIFE WITH SCANDALS… NONE OF WHICH HE WAS PERSONALLY INVOLVED IN, BUT STILL. (His reputation was still marred.)
- Filegate Scandal: The Director of the White House’s Office of Personal Security, Craig Livingston, “improperly” accessed FBI files on several hundred individuals (this was long before the “Patriot Act,” which in my opinion is a gross abuse of our constitutional rights, but I digress). When asked about it, Mrs. Clinton called it a “completely honest bureaucratic snafu.” Most of the files were on people were in previous Republican administrations. Mrs. Clinton hired Mr. Livingston and supposedly looked at the files and requested this move. She was accused by Republicans of violating privacy rights of individuals she viewed as political opposition.
WHAT IS IT WITH PEOPLE ADDING “-GATE” TO EVERYTHING? LIKE THIS IS AN EXTENSION OF NIXON’S WATERGATE SCANDAL OR SOMETHING? (Probably…)
- Lootergate: Both of the Clintons started shipping White House furniture to their private residence in Chappaqua, NY. The Clintons claimed they were donated, but only some were shown to be and were intended to stay at the White House. The Clintons returned some of the furniture after they were pressured to do so. Moreover, when Hillary became a junior NY Senator, she was criticized by GOP lawmakers and others for accepting presents before joining the Senate and was restricted by a strict ethics rule that prohibited the acceptance of gifts worth more than $50.
I DON’T KNOW IF THAT’S SO MUCH A “SCANDAL” AS IT IS BEING A FURNITURE GRUBBER WITH STICKY FINGERS… But, then again, if they so nonchalantly took furniture that wasn’t theirs, then what else have they taken that didn’t belong to them?
- Drug Dealer Donor Scandal: A convicted drug trafficker, Jorge Cabrera supposed made a large donation to the Clinton’s campaign and was invited to the White House without the Secret Service present.
- Ponzi Scheme & Political Favor Scandal: A convicted pyramid investment promoter, Norman Yung Yuen Hsu, was a major DEM donor and contributed an undisclosed amount to Hillary’s 2008 campaign. He was later sentenced to more than 24 years in prison in 2009 by a judge who accused him of funding his fraud by manipulating the political process.
ANYONE ELSE GETTING A HEADACHE YET? I’M NOT EVEN AT TRUMP…
- Bengazi: On 11 Sept 2012, Islamic militants attacked a US diplomatic outpost and CIA annex that resulted in the deaths of 4 Americans, including J. Christopher Stevens, the US Ambassador to Libya. The US increased security after the attack and began to investigate. In the aftermath, State Dept officials were criticized for not allowing additional security at the consulate before the attack. As Sec of State, Clinton took responsibility for the security lapses.
- Email-gate: Okay, let’s recall that 30,000 State Dept emails went to her personal email (gmail) at her personal server at her house… apparently a major no-no when it comes to Top Level Security Clearances and Shit. Then, when told she had to turn over said emails, it took her forever and a day, and in the meantime, she deleted many citing they were “irrelevant” or of a personal nature.
I still think that there was some sort of dealio struck between the Clintons and Obama during the 2008 election. (Remember the Clintons met Obama at his residence and when they emerged from their meeting, she backed out of the race, he became president and she his Sec of State? That kinda stuff always screams “icky yicky fish guts” whenever I think about it.)
And, let’s not forget that the Clintons literally railroaded Monica Lewinsky after the affair surfaced and drove her underground. Like a girl never gave a blowjob before to a married man OR a married man never received one not from his wife. Yes, it was improper for a president (a married one at that) to fuck around w/ an intern (not that it probably hasn’t happened before). But, the whole “I did not have sexual relations with that woman” opened the door to a whole generation of young girls to think that oral sex was not sex. (Trust me, I had to listen to 5th graders during this time tell me that the girls in their school were having oral sex parties in 5TH AND 6TH GRADES because it wasn’t really “sex”.) I have students (male) today who want to be Bill when they grow up– no, not president or a politician, but a guy who gets it all of the time (but apparently not from his wife).
So, if Hillary buried this whole sex scandal of Bill’s (with Gennifer Flowers and Paula what’s-her-name and God only knows who else he plowed during his life that wasn’t his wife) to enable herself to one day become president then is she at fault for enabling her scumbag bastard of a husband to be a dirty dog while worried about her own political ambitions? Or, can we say that if she was willing to forgive and let bygones be bygones (*coughs*bullshit*coughs), then she will be a great leader. Right? I have a hard time believing that any normal female can forget the humiliation and embarrassment that Billy boy created for her. We used to joke in the 90s that Hillary was the real president… and perhaps she wore the pants in the family while Bill traded his for secretative forays in the crevasses of the White House. (Hey, I don’t want to know about their sex lives, but they are public figures and, well, that’s what happens when you are a public figure.)
I also realize that other presidents had mistresses while in office, FDR comes to mind… but did they flaunt it, then deny it allowing the woman to take all of the blame? That’s totally barbaric and so pre-NOW movement of them to do to Monica, no? Especially for a purported feminist such as Hillary.
Man, I think that Hillary stuff gave me carpal tunnel…
Anyway, here’s a list of Trump’s evils…
- Trump “real estate school program” or Trump University
- His sharp tongue in calling all Mexicans rapists, drug dealers, human traffickers, prostitutes and gang lords (or something to that effect).
- Making inappropriate and misogynistic comments about female FOX anchor Megyn Kelly and other women. (By the way, why is it wrong to be angry about him calling women “fat pigs”? It has nothing to do with being PC.)
- His mocking of a handicapped reporter
- How many times has he been bankrupt? Had shady business dealings? Probably more than I can count on two hands and two feet.
Essentially, his filter is broken or he never had one. And, although, I’m not in disagreement w/ his comments about Mexico, he never should’ve said it out loud. We all say things we don’t mean, but at least most of us are apologetic.
I still stand by the belief that he is a plant… either to disrupt the Republicans or to enable Hillary to win. Either way, I believe that either candidate would be a great mistake and one that the American people may not recover from… and I do believe, wholeheartedly, that either or both (if they somehow end up cell mates in the White House) will do colossal damage to our country that will push us further down, cause people to hate us more, and create more security issues than even Obama’s administration has dealt with.
*DISCLAIMER: These are my opinions and only my opinions. If you disagree with me, that’s great. That’s what this American system of government is about. Having people with varying thoughts about politics. I’m also not excusing, supporting, or rewarding any behaviors that aren’t mine. Also, you cannot use or reference my post in any academic or professional literary or journalistic piece without my explicit permission. So, saith me…
And, yes, I left this unlocked on purpose. I need to start writing out in the public again…